Wednesday 5 October 2011

Articulation of Space

For the first term, we are going to be completing a serious of short projects. Our first one was exploring space and getting used to the space in the studio that is now our second home for 3 years. Everyone was given a set of co-ordinates, which were all different in size and selected at random. Mine were '4.2 x 3.2 x 2.2'. This then represented dimensions of the space that we would be working in for the next 7 days. It was only when I marked my space out with masking tape, that I realised I had one of the largest spaces.
 
We could do anything we wanted in our space, as long as we stayed in it. We completed a series of inductions throughout the week that included activities that would inspire ideas and have an influence on our project. One of these tasks was during our LRC induction. We were given numbers at random and used that along with our initials, to find the book that had the same code. My book was one called 'The Five Senses' and was image based. The random quote that I skimmed to was 'You mustn't confuse clouds for smoke'.




I wanted to put the whole world into my space. As my space was so big, I wanted to share it with everybody and create an interactive space. I made a map of the world using blue and red felt on the floor, and kept it 2D so that it was accessible. I chose to do it in front of a doorway so that people had to walk over it, and had to be a part of it. The world is an open space, that should make everyone feel welcome. I played with the 'co-ordinates' part of the task, plotting them on my map, representing diversity. Even though we are all on different co-ordinates, we are all part of the same world and everyone should feel respected and be treated equally.




The quote I found, I really love. 'You mustn't confuse clouds for smoke'. I think it is a poetic way of saying that you mustn't make assumptions about the world around you. It questions why would we assume something is bad, if we can assume something is good? We all naturally prejudge, but a lot of prejudice is usually unfavourable and has a negative impact. This was supposed to loosely tie back in with my map representing an accepting world, where everyone should feel a sense of belonging.

No comments:

Post a Comment